Best shoes for male nurses
Nurses play a very important role in our medical system. They are on their feet for most of their work-time. Male and female nurses have different needs regarding shoes. Men who are in this profession do a lot of physical activity. Their shoes must be able to withstand the pressure and strain. Male nurses must wear specific shoes that suit their job and provide comfort, stability, support, and protection. Improper shoes can cause agony, self-awareness, foul mood, and discomfort which ultimately hinders their performance. Read
So, it becomes essential to buy proper and suitable nursing shoes. We know that buying the right pair of shoes is not as easy as said. But there are certain factors to remember which will make your choice easier. We will discuss those factors here. We will also provide some quick tips and a list of some of the best shoes for male nurses to make your choosing process less hectic and more convenient.
Some of the best shoes for male nurses:
Now it’s time to check some of the best shoes for male nurses that are quite popular and comes with great features.
|Thorogood Men’s ASR Athletic Work Shoe|
|Hoka One One Men’s Arahi Running Shoe|
|Clarks Men’s Cotrell Free Loafer|
|Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Slip-on Shoe|
|Reebok Classic Harman Run Sneaker|
|Dansko Men’s Wynn Slip-on|
|Rockport Men’s Ebernon Loafer|
|Sanita Men’s Professional Cabrio Clog|
|New Balance Men’s Training Shoe|
|Brooks Men’s Addiction Walking Shoe|
1. Thorogood Men’s ASR Athletic Work Shoe:
This work shoe from Thorogood is one of the best shoes for male nurses. This shoe is designed to provide optimum comfort and stability while running or walking at the workplace. It comes with a sleek abrasion-resistant construction with a matching logo. It comprises a breathable mesh tongue and collar to allow air exchange. This helps to keep the feet sweat-free and odor-free all day long. It has a removable SHOCK ZONE polyurethane footbed to protect against shocks. It has a slip-resistant dual-density multi-traction outsole. It provides excellent foot coverage and comfort.
Thorogood Men’s ASR Athletic Work Shoe
- It features an abrasion-resistant nylon or leather construction.
- It is breathable.
- The footbed is removable and protect against shocks
- The midsole of this shoe is flexible and light-weight
- The bottom is slip-resistant
- No such
2. Hoka One One Men’s Arahi Running Shoe:
It is a very cool-looking shoe which features a uniquely designed upper that comes in six brilliant shades. The lower portion of the shoe has a 3D puff print frame. It comes with a padded tongue that stays in place and prevents rubbing or irritation. The upper has a mesh fabric, making the shoe breathable. The Meta-Rocker midsole provides a smooth transition from heel to toe, making each stride effortless and convenient. The rubber outsole is durable and helps to keep everything sturdy.
Hoka One One Men’s Arahi Running Shoe
- It has a breathable mesh upper which helps to keep the feet clean and dry.
- It comes with Meta-Rocker midsole which allows a smooth transition from heel to toe
- The solid rubber outsole is durable
- It is available in 6 different colors with a wide variety of prints
- The sizes are not appropriate. They run small
- Break-in periods are required
- Grasses stick in the bottom treads
3. Clarks Men’s Cotrell Free Loafer:
It is a sturdy, flexible, and lightweight loafer designed to provide optimum comfort. It is a casual designed loafer with a glossy appearance. This shoe has a leather/textile upper and stretchable goring on either side to provide easy slide in and out. This dual goring provides a light and steady fit. It features an ortholite footbed and cushion soft technology to provide extreme comfort along with brilliant energy return and absorption. The bottom has an EVA outsole with a rubber traction system that provides stability to the person wearing it. It is ideal for male nurses who perform light activities for a long duration. It comes in all shades of black.
Clarks Men’s Cotrell Free Loafer
- Presence of stretchable goring on both sides
- It features ortholite footbed
- The outsole comes with a rubber traction system to enhance balancing and stability
- It is not suitable for nurses who perform heavy activities.
- Only shades of black color are available
4. Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Slip-on Shoe:
This is the ideal choice for male nurses who are searching for a mix between a clog and a sneaker. This shoe has an easy slip-on construction that provides adequate flexibility and durability. This durability offered by the shoes makes it the right option for male nurses who performs strenuous physical work. The 100% full-grain upper of the shoe is covered with a breathable mesh lining to keep the feet fresh, cool, sweat, and odor-free for a long time. This leather offers an impressive and sophisticated look. The cushioned midsole and anti-slip outsole make this shoe the perfect one. The heel portion of this shoe also contains extra cushioning to absorb shock while walking.
Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Slip-on Shoe
- It comes with an easy polished slip-on construction
- The upper features 100% full-grain leather
- The sturdy rubber outsole can stick firmly to any surfaces
- The midsole is cushioned
- The heel area has extra cushioning
- It features compression molded EVA footframe which provides comfort, support and stability.
- It comes with ortholite footbed
- It comes only in black and brown colors
- The fit is loose
- On light surfaces, it leaves scuff marks
5. Reebok Classic Harman Run Sneaker:
It is made up of durable and lightweight materials with a comfortable and sturdy design. The synthetic upper is supportive and comfortable. It features die-cut EVA cushioned midsole that provides efficient foot support and cushioning. This shoe is a combination of richness and sophistication. It is available in 9 brilliant color combinations. It features a padded foam sock liner that provides an extra layer of cushioning to make every step comfortable and soft. The rubber outsole is non-slip and provides plenty of traction.
Reebok Classic Harman Run Sneaker
- It comes with a padded foam sock liner.
- It is made of lightweight and durable materials
- The die-cut EVA midsole provides adequate foot support and cushioning
- The sturdy rubber outsoles are non-slip
- It is available in 9 colors
- A strong smell comes from the leather of the shoe
- The sizes are inappropriate and run slightly large
- The leather upper cracks easily if proper care is not taken
6. Dansko Men’s Wynn Slip-on:
This shoe from Dansko is a balance between elegance and comfort. It comes with a contoured footbed. This is a slip-on clog that features dual goring insets padded collar. It is made of 100% true leather which gives it a casual and sophisticated appearance. All these make it ideal for male nurses who are looking for comfort and style. This shoe helps to avoid foot, knee, ankle, and back problems. This shoe features superior construction and a high-quality leather exterior. It comes with a cushioned insole and non-slip rubber outsole to provide safety, support, and stability to the nurses. It provides plenty of arch support. The padded collar prevents the formation of blisters ad abrasions on the back of your ankles.
Dansko Men’s Wynn Slip-on
- It is made of 100% genuine leather
- The insole is cushioned which molds to your foot
- Presence of a padded collar to avoid abrasions and blister formations
- It comes with a contoured footbed
- The non-slip rubber outsoles protect nurses from falling
- It provides enough arch support
- It is available in only 3 colors
- To maintain its shine, shoe polish is required
- It is not breathable
7. Rockport Men’s Ebernon Loafer:
This loafer from Rockport is one of the best shoes for male nurses. It is a stylish slip-on loafer that features a full-grain leather design. The exterior of this shoe has a classic embossed pattern. Both sides of this loafer have dual goring inserts to provide a snug and comfortable fit. The padded tongue and collar provide additional comfort. For breathability and dryness, this loafer has a mesh lining. It has a 0.5” sturdy and well-built platform to provide optimal support and stability as well as minimize shock. It is available in black, brown, and other tan options.
Rockport Men’s Ebernon Loafer
- It is a stylish slip-on loafer that is comfortable as well as attractive
- It features a full-grain leather design
- Presence of dual goring inserts on either side to give a snug as well as a comfortable feel.
- It is breathable
- It comes with a well-built 0.5” platform
- No such
8. Sanita Men’s Professional Cabrio Clog:
Clogs are the best shoes for male nurses as they are go-to shoe which provides enough comfort. This clog is approved by the APMA due to its orthopedic construction and adequate arch support. The upper is made of 100% genuine leather. The platform bottom of the shoe is made of durable polyurethane. The bottom is made in a rocker formation for a perfect flow from heel to toe. This shoe has a hard plastic frame to provide support, stability, and durability. It comes with an anatomically shaped footbed that provides adequate arch support. This makes it ideal for male nurses with low or high foot arches. A wide toe-box is also present to provide enough room to your toe. This helps to prevent painful toe cramps after the end of a long shift.
Sanita Men’s Professional Cabrio Clog
- This clog has a slip-on construction.
- The upper is made of 100% genuine leather
- The rocker bottom is made of durable polyurethane
- Presence of a wide toe-box
- It comes with an anatomically shaped footbed
- It is available only in black color
- The side-stitching of this shoe may fray.
- The attachment of the soles to the shoe is not proper and can split
9. New Balance Men’s Training Shoe:
It is a brilliant and versatile shoe that features a durable and protective leather upper. The laces help to adjust the tightness of the shoe. It comes with a breathable padded mesh tongue and a dual-density collar. Both sides of the shoe have mesh gusset outlets to provide additional breathability. The back side of the collar has a matching color hell pull-tab to offer easy on and off of the shoe. The inside of the shoe is lined with a comfortable and breathable fabric to allow exchange of air. Both the IMEVA midsole and cushioned EVA footbed are shock-absorbent, thus providing extra protection. It has a non-marking rubber outsole to provide extra ground traction. It is popular among male nurses for the support and stability offered. It comes in a solid black color.
New Balance Men’s Training Shoe
- Presence of durable and protective leather upper
- Shoelaces help to adjust the shoe to the individual feet for a proper and secure experience
- It is super breathable to keep the feet cool and fresh
- The heel pull-tabs offer easy on-off transition
- The footbed and midsole offer combined shock absorption
- Comes in one solid color
10. Brooks Men’s Addiction Walking Shoe:
Nurses walk around 3 to 4 miles per shift. This makes buying a comfortable pair of shoes important which will give you an anti-fatigue walking experience. This shoe is one of the best shoes for male nurses which will give you a comfortable walking session. They are lightweight and come in three colors- black, brown, and white. The upper of this shoe is made of 100% real leather. The innovative slip-resistant outsole provides an impressive support and helps to maintain a stable position. This shoe has an attractive and impressive appearance. It feels very good making it ideal for male nurses suffering from overpronation, flat foot, and other foot disorder. It features an Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar which supports the feet and the rest of the body. The midsole comes with BioMoGo DNA cushioning which protects the feet and joints by providing a perfect mix of softness and support.
Brooks Men’s Addiction Walking Shoe
- The upper is made of 100% leather
- The Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar supports the feet while walking
- It features BioMoGo DNA cushioning that molds to each foot and provides support and comfort
- It is ideal for male nurses suffering from foot disorders
- These are lightweight and extremely comfortable
- It is not much of a breathable shoe
- The shoe laces are long
- This shoe is quite narrow making it unsuitable for male nurses having wide feet
Factors to consider while buying shoes for male nurses:
It is very important to buy a good pair of shoes which can withstand loads of your strenuous job as well as provide enough protection, comfort, support, and stability. There are certain factors to consider which will help you to buy the most suitable pair of shoes. Now let’s discuss those factors.
Rules and restrictions of your workplace:
Most of the healthcare units and hospitals have a proper dress code and a guideline for their staffs regarding what shoes to wear. Some of the medical centers restrict certain shoes for safety. So it’s better to check the rules, regulations, and restrictions of your workplace before buying your nursing shoes.
Breathable shoes are important for men who work daily for long hours. They help to keep your feet fresh, clean, and cool. Breathable fabrics like mesh and cotton help to avoid unpleasant odor from your feet and sweat.
The nursing shoes for men must be very comfortable. Uncomfortable shoes cause irritability. They can even create foot and joint problems in the future. Discomfort may hinder your performance. Comfortable shoe enhances your physical as well as your mental health. If you are suffering from any medical condition, then buy specialized shoes to provide optimal comfort and a fast recovery.
Stability and support offered:
Your nursing shoes must provide you enough support and stability to prevent accidents as well as future feet and joint problems. Supporting shoes are important to maintain your posture, decrease fatigue, and reduce strain in your feet, joints, knees, and back. Buy shoes that provide optimum arch support. The soles must be sturdy but flexible. Stability is also important to prevent from falling. So, before buying any nursing shoe, check for the support and stability offered.
A padded tongue in your nursing shoes helps to prevent blisters and abrasions. A padded tongue provides an extra layer of material between the shoelaces and your feet. This helps to minimize rubbing between the feet and the laces, thus ultimately minimizing cuts, blisters, and other skin irritation.
External heel counter:
The floors of hospitals and healthcare units are sometimes slippery due to chemical or medication spills and body fluids. The external heel counter is important for nurses working on wet and slick floors. It keeps your rear feet on the place and helps to prevent ankle twists or other foot injuries.
It is always better to consider your work function while buying your nursing shoes. Certain factors like the floor, your environment, amount of physical activity, etc can affect your shoe type.
Designs, styles, and patterns:
Nursing shoes are available in a wide variety of patterns and designs which make them very attractive and work-friendly. The design of a shoe can affect its durability, mobility, and comfort. Different styles of nursing shoes include casual shoes, clogs, crocs, athletic shoes, and many more. Some shoes also come with scrubs or other medical clothing. The mundane solid colors are a matter of past. Nowadays, nurse shoes come in glossy and non-glossy finishes, oil designs, various textures, etc.
The durability of the shoes depends on the quality of the shoe materials used, its design, its stain-resistant properties, and the strength to withstand daily damage. It is always better to buy durable shoes, especially if your work includes strenuous physical activities or you work in an environment prone to spills and splashes. Durable shoes can provide you all the required needs for a long time.
Weight of the shoes:
If your work includes a lot of walking, moving, or strenuous activity, then it is better to buy lightweight shoes. Buying a heavy pair of shoes cause fatigue as you have to lift the entire weight of your shoe and feet each time you move.
It is always better to buy high-quality products. One high-quality pair of shoes is better and cheaper than two or more low-quality shoes. Buy your nursing shoes which are made of good quality materials! In that way, you can wear your shoes for a long period without damage.
Always buy the right-fitted shoes from the very start. Perfect fitting shoes are not only about your feet’s size but also its shape. Right-fitted shoes help to avoid slip offs and accidents.
Thus nursing shoes must be able to provide adequate protection against any accidents or injuries. If you work in an environment prone to spills or have slick floors, then it is better to buy shoes with slip-resistant outsoles. The insole and midsole must be able to provide adequate shock absorption; otherwise you will face feet, joint, and ankle problems in the future. The shoe must have steel or aluminum toe-caps for added protection.
Replaceable inner soles:
Your nursing shoes must come with replaceable or removable inner soles. This will allow you to change it with a better and suitable one if needed.
Quick tips on buying and maintaining your nursing shoes:
To make your shoe selection easier, we will discuss some tips now. These will not only narrow down your options but will also save your time. We will also discuss how to keep your nursing shoes in a good condition for a long time. You can consider these options at the time of your next purchase in order to prevent yourself from being confused when you see too many options available before you and each of them claiming to be the best in the category. Let’s begin!
- Advice from co-workers: It is the first step which will save you a lot of time. There are different designs and shapes of nursing shoes in the market which makes it very difficult to choose the right pair for you. As we know, ‘Experience is the best teacher’, so, it will better to take advice from your coworkers about their choice and experience regarding their shoes. People who work in that field, knows the pros and cons of certain shoes well. They can offer you a lot of tips and advices on the commonly overlooked small things which are important to buy the right pair of shoes for you.
- Choose function over style: We know, a stylist and designed shoe is important but without functions they can cause physical pain and discomfort. If you fail to buy a shoe which offers you both style and function, then it is better to buy the shoe which can fulfill your needs. A little bit of sacrifice regarding style will not harm you. However, remember the fact that style may exist for a day or a week till the trend is existing but comfort is absolutely personal. It would be the only element that will determine whether or not you are going to use that for long.
- Self-research: Self-research is very important before buying anything. Read the reviews and compare the features to choose the best among them. Reviews will help you to identify the good and bad points regarding all types of shoes. Each reviewer shares their own experience and insights. This will ultimately help you to buy the most suitable pair of shoes which can fulfill all your requirements and demands.
- Seek advice from a foot specialist: A foot specialist can help you to choose the right pair according to your feet’s shape, size, arch, etc. If you are suffering from any medical condition like flat foot, then you will require specialized shoes. A foot specialist can help you with that. A specialist will save you from unnecessary pain and stress which in turn will uplift your mood and improve your performance.
- Choose the right-fit shoes: Choosing the right-fitted shoe helps to maintain its ‘new-state’ for a long time. Buying a bigger or smaller sized shoe will lead to unnecessary stretching, distress, reduced durability and a faster sole wear-down. Measure your foot and arch measured before buying your nursing shoes.
- Keep your shoes clean: keeping your shoes clean and well-maintained can increase the lifespan of your shoes. Your nursing shoes face dirt, germs, grimes, certain chemicals, medicines, bodily fluids, etc daily. All these make cleaning unavoidable to keep it stain and germs free. The longer you keep your nursing shoes unwashed, the faster the shoe material wears off.
- Work shoes are for work only: Although simple yet a very important tip – ‘Never use your professional shoes for personal activities like jogging, walking, playing sports, etc.’ Because the more you use your shoes, the faster they will wear out. Moreover, some activities may put extra pressure on your nursing shoes and thus reduce their lifespan. So the best way to maintain your nursing shoe’s durability and shape is by wearing them only at workplace.
We know that male and female nurses have different needs and requirements regarding shoes. But everyone wants comfort, protection, and support from their shoes. Comfort-ability is very important to be able to deliver your duties properly. We have provided a list of some of the best shoes for male nurses. All these shoes provide comfort and protection. We have discussed their features which will help you to choose the right pair of shoes based on your workplace demands and personal needs. Here we have also shared some quick tips regarding easy buying of nurse’s shoes and maintain them. We hope that this information will be helpful!