Best sneakers for nurses (male, female)
Nursing is one of the respected professions in the world. Nursing can be very challenging. Nurses are responsible for keeping the records of a patient’s health, giving injections and medications, measuring the vitals of the patient, taking care of them, and helping the doctors. Without them, the whole medical system will fail to function properly. With such great responsibility comes the need to be disciplined and punctual. A nurse must wear a clean and proper dress and shoes.
Shoes play an important role in the nursing profession. Uncomfortable shoes cause pain, irritation, and hinder the ability of nurses to do their duties properly. It also affects mood and results in stress. Thus, a little discomfort in feet can result in health problems. Nurses are on their feet for most of their shift. Continuous running, walking, standing, and lifting objects results in the foot and joint pain. All these make it very important for nurses to wear a pair of comfortable shoes during their shifts. Sneakers are very popular among nurses because of their foot, leg, and back support, shock absorption, overall comfort, stability, and durability.
Things to consider while buying sneakers for male and female nurses:
Buying a pair of shoes is not only about the right fit or style. Comfort, durability, support, and stability are extremely vital. A nurse has to walk, run, jump, lift, and do several other light physical activities. So a nurse’s shoe must be able to withstand those tough and rough situations and provide adequate comfort, support, and protection. Purchasing sneakers for nurse shoes can be an easy and quick task if you consider certain things while buying them. Without wasting any more time, let us now discuss some of the important things to keep in mind while buying sneakers for male and female nurses.
Fit: Never buy tight shoes believing that they will stretch with time. Always buy the right fit from the start. Remember, the right fit is not always about the shoe’s size but also its shape. You should buy a shoe which molds to your feet and provide a perfect fit. But your feet must not feel like it is being squeezed or crushed.
Traction: It is another important feature to check before buying a nurse’s shoes. Proper traction is vital to prevent accidental slips and falls. This feature helps you to walk in smooth and slippery surfaces without falling. Buy a shoe with a proper amount of treading on the bottom for good traction.
Weight of the sneakers: It is another vital factor to consider during your ‘shoe purchase’ session. Try to buy sneakers made of lightweight materials. It will help to minimize foot fatigue. Every time we lift out foot while walking or running, we lift the weight of our foot as well as the shoe we are wearing. Lifting this extra weight every time you walk will make you tired and cause muscle pain. So, to avoid this, it is always better to buy lightweight sneakers.
Comfort: Nurses work for long hours. So, their shoes must be able to provide enough comfort. Wearing uncomfortable shoes cause pain, foul mood, stress, irritation, and can hinder your performance. It is very important to wear comfortable shoes to do your duties efficiently. For additional comfort, wear compression socks. These socks help to improve your blood flow and circulation.
Support and stability offered by the sneakers: Your nursing sneakers must be able to provide adequate support and stability to get you through your whole day’s routine without pain or accidents. Purchase sneakers that provide excellent back, foot, and joint support. Supportive shoes can make a huge difference in your work life. Stability is also important to prevent you from falling or slipping.
Removable inner soles: Check for inner soles before buying your shoe. Shoes with replaceable or removable inner soles are great as they allow you to use inserts of your own choice. You can change the original insole and use specialized insoles to treat your foot problems (if any) and for optimum comfort.
Breathability: Another important feature to check before buying your nursing shoes is breathability. We know that nurses work for very long hours without any breaks. This makes it extremely important for nursing shoes to be breathable. Buy shoes made with mesh material. This will help to keep your feet fresh, dry, and clean, even during hot and humid days.
Arch Support: Different nurses have different types of the foot arch. Some have normal or high arches while others suffer from flat feet. Choose your nursing shoes considering your arch type. The shoe must be able to provide enough support to your arch type. This will make your standing and walking experience painless. Choose shoes with laces and thick and cushiony soles for flat feet. For high arches, buy lightweight shoes with a high cushioning system. If you have normal arches then buy thick, firm, durable, and cushioned soles that will also help you to stabilize your heels.
Shock-absorbent: Every time your foot makes a contact with a firm or hard surface, a shock runs through your body. The harder the floor, the severe is the shock received. This impact of the shock can result in foot, joint, and back pains in the future. To protect your feet from such shocks, you need to buy shoes with shock-absorbent technologies like air cushioning.
Toe-box should be roomy: It is very important to buy shoes with a wide toe-box. This will help your feet to feel a bit relaxed. Your toes will get enough room to wiggle. They will not feel squeezed. So, don’t forget to check the toe-box width before buying shoes.
Quality: It is very important to buy high-quality shoes for your nursing profession. Good quality shoe materials will increase your shoe’s lifespan. A good quality nursing sneaker is better and cheaper than two low-quality nursing sneakers.
Style: Although the style is the least important thing for a nurse’s shoe, it can be essential for an individual. Nowadays nursing shoes are available in a wide variety of colors and patterns for you to choose from. If you prefer a flashy and unique look then go for the fun colors. If you prefer a more natural look then the black and white finishes are available too.
Price: It is an important factor that affects your buying process. Don’t get tricked by the brand’s name! Some shoes are very expensive because of the company’s name irrespective of the quality, functionality, and durability. But sometimes, high-priced shoes offer you extra benefits like great cushioning, smooth fit, extreme comfort, and slip-resistance. So, before buying any nursing shoe, tally the features, pros, and cons, and choose accordingly.
Warranties: Last but not the least, the availability of a warranty can affect your buying process. Many nursing shoes offer you a limited period warranty or a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. These features help you to replace, return, or refund your shoes if they fail to meet their commitments or cause any discomfort or pain. So, don’t forget to check the post-purchase services or offers before buying any sneakers.
Some of the best sneakers for male and female nurses:
It is very important for a nurse to buy the right and suitable pair of shoes. The right fit, adequate arch support, stability, and comfort are vital for nurses to have. As a nurse, it is very hard to find time for shopping as you are very busy fulfilling your duties. So, to make your ‘choosing process’ less time-consuming and easy, we have prepared a list of some of the best sneakers for male and female nurses. These sneakers scream durability and functionality. They are top-rated and of top-quality. Just remember, the order of the products discussed here doesn’t follow a definite rank. So, the last product is not the least functional. We hope that this list guides you to your best nursing footwear.
New Balance Women’s w940v3 Running shoe:
New Balance is a popular and trusted brand for producing shoes for medical professionals. This shoe features a no-sew material design. It is an impressive running shoe to cope up with the walking and running that nurses do. Nurses need to run when an accident case comes up, they run from one patient’s ward to another, sprint for a call bell, etc. This shoe provides the desired stability that a nurse needs. The ‘ABZORB’ underfoot cushioning provides optimum comfort throughout the day. Many improvements are made in this model and so the break-in periods have become short. It is available in many delightful and soft colors. This shoe is great for nurses who use orthotics. It minimizes the foot pain caused due to walking and running.
- It offers optimum cushioning and bounce to wear it throughout the whole shift.
- The toe area is roomy.
- Presence of plenty of room to use an orthotic insole.
- It gives a comfortable and painless walking experience.
- The mesh material makes it breathable.
- It doesn’t squeeze your feet.
- It is great for nurses with foot and joint problems.
- Few color options are available.
- The price can break some of your budgets.
- The sizes tend to run a bit large.
ASICS Women’s Gel-Kayano 23 Running Shoe:
It is a stylish Japanese footwear. This brand’s name is an acronym of the Latin phrase that translates into – ‘Healthy Soul in a Healthy Body’. This shoe is designed to consider health at the top. It features a ‘FluidFit Mesh’ design for breathability. This mesh surface is reinforced with non-elastic materials. This permits the elastic area to stretch and give you a perfect fit by changing its shape while you move around. It comes with a gel cushioning technology to absorb the shocks and protect your feet. The fluid ride midsole provides optimum cushioning with exceptional durability and minimal weight. It features ‘heel-clutching system technology’ for adequate comfort, cushioning, and durability. It is available in several impressive colors, prints, and styles.
- The shoe technology is amazing and provides excellent fit and comfort.
- It is great for nurses with overpronation.
- It provides great comfort and adequate cushioning.
- The shoe material is sturdy and durable.
- Many colors, patterns, and styles are available.
- They are moderately priced.
- The toe box is not much wide.
- They tend to run a bit small in size.
Nike Women’s WMNS Air Max 90 Trainers:
We know that nurses need to run during their shift. This sneaker from Nike can help in those situations. Nike is a popular and trusted brand. It offers you great style and comfort during walking, running, and standing. It is very important to have cushion support in this profession. So, to provide adequate support, it comes with a plush foam midsole. These sneakers are made of leather materials. It comes with a rubber sole to protect you from chemical spills. It is extremely lightweight and gives you a feeling of walking on clouds. This sneaker shows a fine balance between comfort and support. They are very attractive to look at and come in a wide variety of fun colors and styles. You can also get cash backs on certain colors and sizes, depending on the place where you are purchasing these sneakers.
- This sneaker offers great arch support.
- It provides optimum comfort.
- It helps to support and protect the feet of nurses during mild physical activities.
- It provides enough support to the heel area.
- Presence of a plush midsole for comfort and cushioning.
- It comes with a well-built construction.
- It is great for nurses with flat feet.
- The sneaker’s colors are the same and true as the pictures.
- They are available in a wide variety of fun colors and styles.
- It is a bit expensive.
- Some disappointed remarks from customers came against the shoe box.
Nike Men’s Lunar Fingertrap Cross Trainer:
When we think of nursing, only female nurses come to our minds. But it is a matter of the past! Nowadays, many male nurses are seen serving the patients and helping doctors. Male nurses make about 10% of the whole nurse force at present. This percentage is continuously rising. Male nurses also deserve optimum support, protection, and comfort. So, here we present this comfortable pair of shoes from Nike. The unique designs make them attractive. They are durable and can face the rough, long, and demanding work of male nurses. The ‘Dynamic Fit’ technology provides a perfect fit and ‘glove-like’ feel. The sidewall wrap-up design provides a snug fit and helps in a diagonal movement. The solid rubber outsole can face moving and shifting. These shoes are not only lightweight but breathable too. The wide flexible grooved design provides multi-directional traction and allows a smooth moving experience. It provides great arch support. They can be cleaned easily.
- They possess a unique and attractive design.
- The ‘Dynamic Fit’ technology helps to achieve a perfect glove-like fit.
- No footwear marks are left by the solid rubber outsole.
- The outsole helps to provide enough multi-directional traction.
- The flexible and deep grooves help in the natural movement of an individual.
- It is very light.
- It is quite affordable.
- It is perfect for regular use.
- It can be cleaned easily.
- They are breathable and help to keep your feet fresh and dry.
- The built-in arch support is great.
- It is not slip-resistant.
- These shoes tend to be narrower than average.
- Few color and style options are available.
K-Swiss Women’s Hypercourt Express Tennis Shoe:
It is one of the best shoes for female nurses. This company is an American shoe company known for manufacturing great footwear. This attractive tennis shoe has a flexible upper made of textile/Molded Polyurethane/Synthetic materials. This helps to move your feet in any direction required. The molded sockliner and Draggaurd rubber or Aosta rubber outsole offer a great fit and extreme comfort. It also has lace closure to achieve a tight fit that can be adjusted. This shoe features textile collar lining. They have non-staining properties. It gives a painless walking experience. It doesn’t require any break-in period. They are perfect right out of the box.
- They are very comfortable.
- They are ideal for nurses with bunions or other foot-related problems.
- It doesn’t require any break-in periods.
- It features an easy slip-on design.
- It is well-built and durable.
- The size of the toe-box is generous.
- The cost can be out of the budget plan of some nurses.
- They wear out after several months’ use.
New Balance Men’s M1540v2:
Like their female counterparts, male nurses also need attractive, stylish, comfortable, and supportive working shoes. This shoe from New Balance is super comfortable and ideal for male nurses. They are made up of 75% synthetic and 25% mesh material to provide optimum breathability. A roll-bar support system is present to provide adequate support while moving around. The tongue is padded and breathable to provide extra comfort and breathability. They are great for nurses with plantar fasciitis and joint pain. They are super supportive and perfect for everyday wear.
- The upper has mesh material for breathability. This helps to keep your feet fresh, clean, and dry.
- It is very comfortable.
- Presence of a roomy toe box.
- It is great for male nurses with arthritis, joint and knee pain, and plantar fasciitis.
- It comes with an impressive cushioning system.
- They tend to run a half-size large.
- It is quite expensive.
New Balance Women’s W1260v6 Running Shoe:
This shoe from New Balance comes with a perfect combination of comfort and style. It has an attractive design and lasts a long time. It is available in several beautiful colors. Yes, of course we know that style is good but it is not absolutely essential for a nurse’s shoe. But don’t worry! This shoe offers you a lot of other features too. Apart from style, this shoe provides adequate comfort and arch support. These running shoes are made of 100% textile and synthetic materials which are light in weight and don’t feet clunky to your feet. It has an effective rubber sole that offers impressive treading. An Acteva lite midsole is also present. This shoe features ‘Fantom Fit’ technology to provide a great fit. This shoe protects your feet and provides adequate support throughout the day. It is great for many foot problems like flat feet and overpronation. They are single-threaded and provide padding in the right places. It provides great stability.
- It provides great arch support.
- It is great for many foot problems like flat feet.
- It provides adequate comfort throughout the day.
- It provides optimum support. This makes it great for nurses with overpronation. They helps to keep their feet straight.
- It provides optimum stability.
- Only a few attractive and feminine colors are available.
- It may be outside some nurse’s budget.
- Complains of numbed feet after a few hours of wearing this shoe are reported by some customers.
New Balance Men’s 990v4:
Another great shoe for male nurses! This brand originated in the early 1900s as a shoe company and since then they are producing great shoes. This brand is known for manufacturing shoes with exceptional arch support. So, this shoe company is also known as ‘the New Balance Arch Support Company’. This shoe is no exception. It provides enough arch support to make the long shifts bearable and painless. It also provides excellent lateral, roll, and ankle support. It is made of 100% leather and textile materials. It has a rubber sole. The insole is removable. These shoes are manufactured in the USA, so, it is a bit high priced. It is lightweight and is a great choice for ageing feet. The mesh material helps to enhance the air exchange. This helps to keep your feet fresh and dry, even during warm and humid days. This shoe features dual-density collar foam for optimum comfort.
- It provides optimum arch support.
- It is available in many colors and style options.
- The construction of this shoe is remarkable.
- It is extremely comfortable and breathable. So, your feet will remain happy, clean, and fresh, even during summer.
- It is great for nurses with flat feet or overpronation.
- It is made of 100% leather and textile.
- Presence of removable insole.
- It is expensive.
- The heels are a bit stiff.
- It doesn’t break-in easily.
Quick tips on buying your nursing sneakers:
To make your nursing shoe selection easier, we will now share some tips with you.
- Workplace rules: Most of the hospitals and healthcare facilities have a guidance rule book regarding the dress and shoes of the workers. Read those rules properly. Many medical environments restrict the use of certain shoes for safety policy. This will help you to cut down your options’ list a bit. It is always ideal to abide by the rules and regulations of the place so that you do not have to face the struggle of discomfort while you are working!
- Advice from co-workers: It is the second step to narrow down your choices. We know, “Experience is the best teacher”. Here your coworkers are the experienced fellows. Ask them about their experience with particular shoes and their advantages and disadvantages. An experienced nurse can give you a lot of insights regarding shoes. Take help from your co-workers as they will help you about deciding which particular sneaker to choose!
- Read online reviews: Reading online reviews can provide a lot of insights about a particular sneaker. In sites like Amazon.com, hundreds of people have shared their personal experience regarding shoes. Reading those reviews can help you to understand which sneaker is suitable for you.
- Choose function over style: In situations when you can’t have both style and function then choose function over style. Style doesn’t matter in the nursing profession. It only matters for some individuals. So, don’t buy unique and attractive sneakers with almost no functionality. A little sacrifice can save you from pain and discomfort.
How to maintain your nursing sneakers for a long time:
To maintain your nursing sneakers for a long time, follow these:
- Keep your sneakers clean: keeping your shoes clean helps to maintain it. Your nursing sneakers face germs, grimes, certain chemicals, medicines, bodily fluids, etc regularly. So, cleaning is unavoidable.
- Choose the right-fit: Choosing the right-fitted shoe from the very beginning helps to maintain its ‘new-state’ for a long period. Buying extra large or small sneakers can result in additional stretching and early damage to your shoes. Therefore, you should rather focus on buying a shoe that fits you right. Mention the shoe size as that will actually help!
- Use your nursing sneakers for work only: Another way to increase the lifespan of your sneakers is by using them for your work only. Wearing your work shoes for personal activities will lead to early wear and tear of the shoes.
Nursing is very tough but rewarding. But you can’t work effectively with pain and uncomfortable feet. So, a good pair of shoes is a must for nurses. Here we have provided a list of some of the best sneakers for male and female nurses to provide you with the best available option. Some tips and tricks for quick buying are also discussed here. We hope that this information will be helpful.