Best stethoscope for EMT
Stethoscope is an extremely important instrument in the medical field. It helps one to listen to the body sounds properly and perfectly. Sounds of heart, lungs,abdomen, etc can be heard conveniently by a stethoscope. This ultimately helps to diagnose any health issues in a patient by observing and assessing the body sounds. One of the most important instruments that every medical practitioner need is none other than the stethoscope. You can no way compromise on its efficiency. There are several factors that you should be noting in order to make sure that you fetch the best purchase at the most competitive price. This article mainly focuses on the parameters that you should keep in mind so as to purchase the best stethoscope for EMT. Not just this, we have also listed a few products so that you can get a fair idea about which deal to pick. We focused on mentioning the pros and cons as well.
Stethoscopes play a very important role for EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) and other professionals. Stethoscopes are so important in a medical field that whenever we imagine a medical professional, the first instrument associated with him that comes to our minds is a stethoscope.
For an EMT, an accurate and precise stethoscope is very important to do the job properly and efficiently. With so many options of stethoscope available in the market, choosing the right one for you can be really difficult. To narrow down your choices, we have chosen some of the best instruments available and reviewed them here. This will definitely help you to buy the right stethoscope for you. Other tips and tricks for buying this extremely important instrument are also given here. Let us now begin!
Things to look for in an EMT stethoscope:
Buying the right stethoscope that can fulfill all your work requirements is not an easy task. Many features affect the functionality and durability of a stethoscope. You have to keep certain things in mind while you go out to buy a stethoscope for EMT. All these factors will help you fight the dilemma that you otherwise tend to have in choosing the instrument. Let us discuss the things that you need to look for in a stethoscope.
Sound quality: It is one of the most important factors to consider while purchasing an EMT stethoscope. It is the main thing about a stethoscope. So, before buying your instrument, check the frequency range of sounds and acoustic sound level offered by it. If you have any hearing issues, then buy specific stethoscope models that can help you to deal with your hearing problems and provide you a proper, clear, and crisp sound. Moreover, keep in mind the type of body sounds you need to hear (low and high frequency sounds) and buy accordingly. Be sure that your stethoscope is offering you the best sound quality that you need.
Weight of the instrument: It is very important to buy a lightweight and comfortable stethoscope. You need to carry it around your neck for long hours. Buying a heavy instrument can lead to neck pain and discomfort. So, before buying a stethoscope, check its weight.
Material used: The type of material used to construct a stethoscope can have a great impact on its performance, durability, longevity, weight, sound quality offered, and comfort. So, before buying a stethoscope, check the durability and weight of the materials used. Moreover, it is better to buy a stethoscope made of latex-free materials to protect the patients with allergy-sensitive skin.
Chestpiece: Before buying a stethoscope, check the type of chestpiece present in it. If you need to deal with patients of varying age including children then it is better to buy a stethoscope with interchangeable chestpieces.
Non-chill rim: Before buying a stethoscope, check whether it have a non-chill rim or not. A non-chill rim helps to provide optimum comfort to the patient during assessments.
Length of the tubing: It is also an important feature to check before buying any stethoscope. An appropriate length of the tubing is required to maintain a proper distance between the patient and the medical professional so that no one is uncomfortable. The length of the tubing ranges from 22 to 28inches.
ID Tag: When you spend a lot of money on a stethoscope then it is better to buy one with an ID tag. It helps you to write your name on it and prevents from confusing it with other’s instruments. Even if your stethoscope gets lost, the name tag will help you to recover it very quickly.
Price: It is a very important factor to consider while buying a stethoscope for your job. First, make a budget and stick to it. This will help you to carry out your other expenditure very easily. Then, choose the stethoscopes that fall in your budget range. At last, tally their features, pros, and cons and finally buy the one that can fulfill all your workplace demands.
Warranty: Some of the stethoscopes come with a limited period warranty. Buying an instrument with a warranty can be very relaxing. You will not have to think about getting it damaged and spending money on replacements. So, before buying a stethoscope, check the availability of any warranty.
Some of the essential attributes are mentioned herein in detail. Do take a look at them, and then follow the products that are listed below. Go, get a glance!
Some of the best stethoscopes for EMT:
There are many options of stethoscope available in the market at recent times. This makes buying the right instrument for your job very difficult and time-consuming. To help you with this, now we will discuss the features of some of the best stethoscopes for EMT. Their pros and cons will be discussed thoroughly to help you get a clear idea about these instruments and decide which one to buy.
Just remember that all the instruments discussed here are presented in a random order. So, the products at the end are not the least functional stethoscopes. The features of each products are discussed separately. This will definitely help you to buy the best one to suit your job and fulfill all your workplace demands.
MDF rose Gold MD One Stethoscope:
It is a great option that offers crisp and clear acoustics. It is very attractive and appealing because of its luxurious appearance. The sound quality is perfect to hear the heart, lungs, and bowel sounds properly. It has a unique Stainless Steel construction that is durable and long-lasting. This stethoscope comes with an anatomically angled headset. The ComfortSeal eartips are made of silicone. They are very soft and provide a comfortable fit for long hours. It can be said that it is best for assessing and observing lung sounds. It comes with a dual-head chestpiece for better assessments on different patients.
- It has an appealing design and an attractive color.
- The tubing is made of latex-free materials.
- It offers high-quality acoustics.
- It comes with a dual head chestpiece.
- It is made of Stainless Steel for longevity and durability.
- It comes with an anatomically angled headset for better sound quality and proper fit.
- The eartips are soft and extremely comfortable.
Cons: No such.
ADC savior 615 Platinum Professional Clinical Stethoscope:
It is the best AFD (adjustable Frequency Diaphragm) stethoscope. It is very durable and delivers extreme comfort and exceptional performance at an unmatched value. It comes with an oversized chestpiece. It features a CNC precision-machined construction and as said earlier, it comes with an innovative AFD technology. Moreover, it comes with a lifetime warranty to make it last perfectly for a long period.
- It offers impressive acoustic performance.
- It is very durable.
- It is very comfortable to use both for the patient and the user.
- It uses an impressive AFD technology.
- Presence of oversized chestpiece.
- It features a CNC precision-machined build.
- Additional Adsoft Plus eartips are included with this instrument.
- The color of the instrument fades away with continuous use.
3M Littmann Cardiology IV Stethoscope:
It is one of the best stethoscopes for EMT and doctors and nurses working in the cardiology department. It is the most promising one in the cardiology line by Littmann. It is a highly effective instrument that can be used on a wide range of patients. The acoustic performance of this cardiology stethoscope is very impressive. It is very sound sensitive which is a crucial feature required in critical care departments and EMT. It comes with a dual-sided chestpiece and an adjustable diaphragm.
The chestpiece is 40% larger than the average size with a 60% deeper bell for better acoustic performance. It features a two-in-one dual lumen construction that efficiently separates the two tubes to prevent any unnecessary noise interference caused by the rubbing of the two tubes. This design also helps in impressive auscultation and sound channeling through the two binurals. The next generation tubing in 22” long to maintain a proper distance between you and the patient for a comfortable, confident, and proper assessment.
The angular binurals help to provide an accurate and comfortable fit within the ear canals for better listening experience with minimal noise interference. Snap-tight and soft-sealing eartips are also present in this stethoscope for a more perfect and comfortable fit. This stethoscope is made from high-quality, durable Stainless Steel.
- Presence of a non-chill rim for patient’s comfort.
- It delivers impressive acoustic performance.
- Presence of dual-sided chestpiece.
- Presence of an adjustable diaphragm.
- It features two-in-one dual lumen tubing construction that prevents any noise interference caused by rubbing of the two tubes.
- Presence of angular binurals with Snap-tight and soft-sealing eartips for a comfortable and proper listening experience.
- It is made of durable, high-quality Stainless Steel.
- It is available in 9 different colors to match your personality.
- 7 different chestpiece finishes are available.
- It is very expensive.
Omron Sprague Rappaport Stethoscope:
It is a very affordable choice for nurses, doctors, and EMT. It is very versatile because of the presence of three different sizes of bells and two different sizes of diaphragm. Moreover, two different pairs of eartips are also available. Thus, it is a 5-in-1 multi-purpose diagnostic instrument. The tubing is made of latex-free materials. So, no fear of bad and uncomfortable allergies of the patients with allergy-sensitive skin. The chestpiece of this stethoscope is available in many color options to pick from.
- It is very affordable.
- It is a high-quality stethoscope.
- The chestpiece is available in many color options to pick from.
- Two different pair of eartips are available.
- Two different sized diaphragms are available.
- Different sizes of bells are available.
- The tubing is made from latex-free components.
- The sound quality offered by this instrument is not very clear.
3M Littmann Classic III Stethoscope:
It is one of the most popular stethoscopes available in the market at present. It is a great choice for ER nurses, EMT, doctors, and paramedics. It offers high level of acoustic performance (rated 8/10) and impressive sound quality. It is worthy of its price. It has the ability to assess a wide range of patients ranging from children to old people. It has a pressure sensitive chestpiece that helps in easy acoustic adjustments based on the pressure applied to the chestpiece for the best results. Thus, the range of sounds can be modified very easily and the higher and lower frequency sounds can be picked up. So, many medical conditions can be diagnosed properly. This stethoscope has both pediatric and adult side for easy assessments.
It features the next generation single lumen tubing that is made of latex-free materials. This protects and provides comfort to patients with allergy-sensitive skin. The whole stethoscope is made of lightweight, resilient materials for high performance and long-lasting effect. It is very durable. Moreover, the single lumen tubing can retain its shape after stashing it into your pockets and considerable use. It also features a pair of angular binurals that appropriately line up to the ear canal and helps to provide a comfortable, effective, and efficient listening experience. These binurals possess a pair of soft-sealing warriors for extra comfort. These warriors also help to hear the body sounds properly without any outside interference.
- It helps in quick and proper assessments efficiently.
- The sound quality of this stethoscope is excellent and it can pick up a wide range of sounds.
- It comes in 18 impressive and vibrant colors to choose from.
- It offers an impressive acoustic performance
- It can be used on a wide range of patients.
- It features a pressure-sensitive chestpiece.
- 7 different chestpiece finishes are available.
- The single lumen tubing is made from durable, lightweight, and latex-free materials.
- It is very durable.
- The tubing has the ability to retain its shape after considerable use.
- Presence of a pair of angular binurals.
- Presence of a pair of soft-sealing eartips.
- It is not much suitable for cardiac assessments.
- It is quite heavy to be worn around the neck for long duration.
Littmann Master Cardiology:
It is another great choice for EMT that provides high level of acoustic performance. It features a beautiful hand-crafted design. The fine chestpiece is made of Stainless Steel. The tunable diaphragm is precisely engineered for capturing very faint sounds that are difficult to pick up. By changing the pressure on the chestpiece, you can adjust the frequency range of the body sounds. This helps one to observe and hear a wide range of low and high frequency sounds. An adapter is present to be used on infants or pediatric patients. So, this stethoscope is used to perform proper auscultation on a wide range of patients.
The tubing of this stethoscope is made of thick, durable, and resilient latex-free materials for delivering a better sound quality. This also helps to separate the sounds while they are traveling to the binurals with little or no outside interference with good and rich sound quality. The two-in-one tube design prevents any sound contamination due to rubber rubbing together. This split channel tubing also helps each binural to get equal and proper acoustic levels. This it provides an optimum listening experience. The anatomically engineered binurals offers proper ear positioning for an efficient and comfortable experience. The snap-tight eartips provide a soft and secure fit around the inner ear to prevent contamination to the body sounds. Moreover, 7 different colors are available with 3 unique finishes to choose from. It is a great choice for people with hearing problems or work in emergency units.
- It offers high level of acoustic performance.
- It features a beautiful hand-crafted design.
- The chestpiece is made of Stainless Steel.
- The diaphragm is tunable that helps to capture very low frequency sounds easily.
- It has an adapter that helps to observe the body sounds of infants or pediatric patients.
- The tubing is thick and durable and made of resilient latex-free materials.
- The two-in-one tube design prevents any noise contamination during the sound traveling to the ears.
- The binurals are anatomically designed and tipped with soft and snap-tight eartips.
- Many colors with different finishes are available to choose from.
- It is very costly.
3M Littmann Master Classic II stethoscope:
This stethoscope is one of the best stethoscopes for EMT that comes with ergonomically designed components. It is highly functional. This stethoscope has a simple construction and has a single sided tunable chestpiece. You can manage the full acoustic range by this single sided chestpiece. The diaphragm is made of aerospace alloy or anodized aluminum that delivers exceptional acoustic performance. With a simple change in pressure, the sounds of higher and lower frequency can be heard perfectly. Thus, it helps you to assess a wide range of body sounds.
The diaphragm is large enough and is of the dimension 1.75” that is meant for better sound capture. It further helps in processing, and transmission as well. The cost is also not much. It also has a non-chill rim for better comfort of the patient. It is made of latex-free materials for additional protection and comfort. The next-generation tubing is resistant to oils and alcohol stains to maintain a long-term durability. Even after bending and folding the tubing can retain its shape and composure.
The binurals are ergonomically designed as stated earlier. So, they provide a better, secure, and comfortable fit. These are tipped by a pair of soft-sealing eartips for an impressive acoustic seal. Moreover, many color options are available to choose from. So, you can easily choose a color that suits your personality. The chestpiece is available in two finishes – black or polished alloy plated.
- It is quite affordable.
- This single sided stethoscope is very easy to use.
- The diaphragm is large.
- Presence of a non-chill rim.
- It features latex-free construction for a safer and comfortable experience for patients with latex sensitivities.
- The tubing has an oil and alcohol resistance.
- It is very durable and long-lasting.
- The binurals are ergonomically designed for a better and accurate fit.
- The soft-sealing eartips are very comfortable.
- It is available in 9 different colors.
- Only two types of chestpiece finishes are available.
- It has a single sided chestpiece.
3M Littmann Lightweight II S.E:
It is a very user-friendly model. The diaphragm is tunable and it comes with a dual-sided chestpiece. It offers impressive acoustic performance. It can perform some limited physical assessments in a wide range of patients. It is great for taking blood pressure readings. The chestpiece features a teardrop design for better auscultation around the BP cuffs in a patient. It weighs more than a pound. Thus, it is very light in weight.
- It comes with a non-chill diaphragm for optimum comfort of the patient.
- It offers exceptional acoustic performance and can pick up both high and low frequency sounds.
- It has a teardrop design for better auscultation.
- The diaphragm is tunable.
- The headset is anatomically designed to provide a better fit.
- The tubing gets stained very easily.
Some tips for making a quick and right purchase:
Purchasing the right stethoscope can be very time-consuming. So, we are here to provide some quick tips to make your choosing process better and faster.
- Buy a stethoscope that can suit your area of specialty.
- Check the factors discussed above to buy the most suitable instrument with the desired features. Decide what features are more important for your job and focus on them.
- Take advice from your co-workers. They can provide you with a lot of insights about several instruments and can even suggest some great options. This will help to narrow down your choices.
- Do a little bit of self-research. Read online reviews of the products. This will provide you with a lot of information about each one of them. Sites like Amazon.com contains hundreds of reviews for a single product, where people all over the world have shared their experiences. This will definitely help you to decide quickly on the right model of stethoscope.
Parts of a stethoscope:
Chestpiece: This part makes direct contact with the patient. Stethoscopes offer two types of chestpieces – single-headed and dual-headed. Most of the dual-headed chestpieces come with a bell on one side and a diaphragm on the other side. The bell helps to listen to sounds of low frequency sounds and diaphragm helps to hear high frequency sounds.
The earpieces: Earpieces are available in different sizes to provide an accurate and comfortable fit. The earpieces are angled in many models for a more proper fit and better sound transmission to the ears.
Tubing: It transfers the body sounds picked from the body of the patients to the ears of the user. Many models of stethoscope feature dual lumen tubing to prevent any sound contamination caused by the rubbing of the tubes together.
How much a good stethoscope will cost?
The price of a stethoscope depends on its features, material used, durability, longevity, and the brand name. For general use or entry level purposes, a good stethoscope of $50 – $80 will be sufficient. These stethoscopes can be used for making limited physical assessments but provide good sound quality. If you want some high-end models with exceptional sound quality, ability to make critical assessments, and made of lightweight materials then you have to increase your budget a little bit. Expensive models come with better durability, specialized bells and diaphragms, impressive sound quality, and limited period warranties. They usually fall in the price range of $60 – $200 depending on the extent of special features available in it. Electronic stethoscopes are very expensive and can cost you several hundred dollars. These types of stethoscopes help to observe the body sounds through visual representation that are presented in a digital display. This helps in better and more proper health assessments of the patients. They are extremely easy to use and the patients can also see what the doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals are listening to. The electronic stethoscope starts from the price of $150.
Stethoscopes are extremely important for any medical professional to have. It is very important for EMT, EMS, nurses and doctors of all other departments and other health professionals. With so many options around us, it is very confusing and daunting to buy the right stethoscope for EMT that can fulfill the work demands. To help you with that, we have provided a list of some of the best stethoscopes for EMT and have discussed their features, pros, and cons in detail. This will definitely guide you to your perfect instrument. Moreover, what to look for in a stethoscope are also discussed in the beginning to ease your choosing process. Some quick tips on buying this instrument is also given here. Other information related to stethoscope is given here too to clear your conception about this instrument. We hope that you find this information beneficial. Thanks for reading till the end!